The Forest Hills Legacy
The prestigious name "Forest Hills" dates back to the great name of golf for a very good reason. The club's history began in the 1890's with the introduction of the game to the Rose City.
William P. Reeves, having just returned from abroad, raved about a new game he had seen in Scotland to a group of his friends. Enthusiastic about Reeve's description of golf, the group couldn't wait to get the golf clubs they had just sent away for in New York. Thus, the first golf course, boasting all of four holes, was established in Richmond, Indiana. When the group expanded to 25, a new course was built south of "E" Street. Their first clubhouse was a one-room shanty where the members enjoyed Saturday afternoon sandwiches, tea, and Sunday picnics.
On November 21, 1900, the group of golfers organized the Richmond Country Club. Its first official clubhouse, built on the present site of Earlham Cemetery, was opened June 4, 1901. Touted as "but a short walk from the street car line", the club hosted its first Indiana State Golf Association tournament in 1904.
Fire destroyed the westside clubhouse in 1915, and a "handsome" new clubhouse was
erected on the current location of "Hayes Regional Arboretum" on Elks Road.
The grand re-opening was on St.Patrick's Day in 1916.
A little over ten years later, on July 2, 1927, our club came of age when it moved to its
present home on South 23rd Street and adopted the name of "Forest Hills".
Through the years, Forest Hills has continued to grow and many improvements have been made, including the additions of a swimming pool, tennis courts, and irrigated fairways. True to its legacy, our club has been chosen twice in recent years to host the "Indiana Open" and is recognized across the state as one of the finest private clubs in Eastern Indiana